Friday, March 27, 2009

French Curves in Copper

curve

 

 

 

I’ve been doing a little work in the studio over the past few days, on some other projects I’ve had in my mind. This is the beginnings of one of them.

My dad is a draftsman and before he started using a CAD program to design houses, he used to work on a drawing board. As such, he has collected some pretty awesome things; an ultrasonic cleaner (just what I needed too!), cool pens and these neat stencils called French Curves. They help you to draw accurate curves, but look really cool too. When I uncovered these, I immediately saw them re-created in metal so off I went to my studio and chose the smallest one. Here’s some progress shots (I like these, they’re fun).

curve3

 

 

 

Here it is roughly cut out, you can still see my marker lines which I sawed down a little more, then filed to make it smooth and neat.

curve2a

 

 

 

This is when my hand needed a break from emerying, so it’s a mid-way shot. That’s all I took, I wanted to finish it quickly because I had some bead related jewellery to make. The mostly finished project is in the first picture of this post.

I made my first ring in Tafe today, pretty exciting! Even though I had to cut it and resize it down as part of an assessment. Can’t wait to make something I’m actually allowed to take home.

No comments:

Post a Comment